Strategy games are all about testing your ability to think and adapt against an opponent or opponents. Practice and patience are important, but your success will also rely upon your natural ability to react.
Examples: Monopoly, Risk, Chess
When playing board games, a substantial component to your success is the skill of other players. Learn the rules, play consistently and take advantage of any weaknesses you see in the other player’s defenses.
- Each game usually has a specific strategy or trick that is difficult to beat. Look online for guides. As an example, in Monopoly a winning strategy is usually to purchase everything you land on.
- Board games usually operate on “house rules.” This means that you may not always be playing in the way that you are accustomed to. Learn as many variations as you can and adjust your strategies accordingly.
Examples: Civilization, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer
PC strategy games tend to be incredibly intricate. Unlike with card games, board games and other types of strategy game, you are usually playing against a computer rather than another player (though you can play against other players if you choose). PC games tend to be won by ensuring that you complete the correct actions early on.
- Look up the Wiki. Almost every game has a Wiki devoted to it that outlines all of the components of the game and the best strategies, such as this Civilization Wiki.
- Determine what it takes to win. Most PC strategy games have multiple ways to win it, depending on how you want to play the game.
- Start out small. PC strategy games usually has several modes, ranging from very easy to very difficult.
- Don’t be afraid to “cheat.” Sites like GameFAQs can give you information regarding specific problems that you’re having
Examples: Blackjack, Poker
Card games can be incredibly difficult to master because you need to understand both the rules and the psychology of the people you are playing with.
- Learn the rules thoroughly. Games like poker have many variants; you will need to know them all
- Invest in strategy guides. Poker, as an example, has a large amount of strategy guides available free online.
- Practice. There are websites and apps that will help you develop your own personal style.
- Be consistent. Card games, like most games that involve a component of luck, are about having a system and remaining consistent.
Example: Warhammer 40k
Miniature strategy games have seen a resurgence in popularity lately. With miniature strategy games, also known sometimes as war games, you command troops and attempt to best your opponent or opponents in battle. Miniatures are used to visualize the lay of the land and your troops.
- Make sure to pay attention to the board. The environment in a miniature game is half the battle.
- Miniature games are about collecting as much as about playing. Make sure you do your research and are prepared before you step up to the table. Collect with success in mind, rather than simply to collect.
Examples: Fantasy Football, Fantasy Baseball, Fantasy Basketball
Though often seen as a “gambling” game, fantasy sports games actually involve a significant amount of strategy. Players must educate themselves thoroughly about each player and construct a winning strategy.
- Memorize as much information about the players as possible; you may need to make decisions on the fly.
- Always keep current on recent news. They can affect how the players will actually perform regardless of prior history.
- Learn what makes a strong team strong. As an example, a typical NBA team needs to contain a specific roster.
- Use a good platform. There are many fantasy sports platforms that allow you to select your picks and automatically tabulate the statistics.
- Monopoly: How to Win at Monopoly
- Risk: How to Win at the Game Risk
- Chess: Ten Tips to Winning Chess
- Civilization: Civilization Wiki (Victory), Civilization 5 Victory Strategy Guides
- Card Games: Six Keys to Winning At Blackjack, Titan Poker
- Age of Empires II: How to Win in Age of Empires II
- Command & Conquer: Command & Conquer Walkthrough
- Warhammer: How to Beat Your Opponent in a Game of Warhammer 40k
- Fantasy Football: How to Play Fantasy Football
- Fantasy Baseball: 2014 Fantasy Baseball Strategy
Fantasy Basketball: How to Play Fantasy Basketball