How to Build a Pallet Shed – Day 8

It’s day 8 of my efforts to try and win £1000 for The Joseph Salmon Trust in Ronseal’s “I did it” contest by building a shed made out of pallets.

I spent a couple of hours this morning applying the first coat of the Total Wood Preserver that Ronseal very kindly sent me yesterday. My plan is to treat all the shed’s supporting pallets with it, and then use paint on the outside once I’ve clad it.

In retrospect I would have put the preserver on all the structural pallets before actually fixing them into place, which would mean that the likelihood of the shed rotting from the bottom would be dramatically reduced. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I’m hoping that the fact I’ve raised the bottom pallets above ground level by putting them on paving slabs will help prevent any water getting into the wood.

The instructions say to apply 3 coats of the wood preserver, leaving 24 hours between each coat.. Generally my impatient foolishness would lead to me just slapping on a new coat whenever the last one looked dry (or even not bothering with a second coat at all), but seeing as though pallets aren’t exactly known for their high quality wood I thought I better give them as much of a head start as possible.

So, ahem, I did what it said on the tin (do you see what I did there?)

As it only took me about an hour or so to apply the wood preserver I had some time to spend on my neglected vegetables.

Unfortunately I’m still having a major problem with cats crapping on the beds and then uprooting all my seedlings when they try and cover it up. The Defenders Mega-Sonic Cat Repeller is actually quite effective, but unfortunately it also repels my daughter, who’s young ears can hear it’s high pitched siren. Every time she goes in the garden she, quite reasonably, turns it off to stop it annoying her – and then frequently forgets to turn it back on.

I decided it was time that I used more physical methods to keep the little buggers off. So using some bamboo canes, water piping, butterfly netting, cable ties, and wooden poles I coppiced from my hazel trees I came up with this:

I’ve only attached the netting to the arks along the horizontal poles, and then have weighted down the sides with hazel rods. so theoretically whenever I want to weed I can just flip up the sides for easy access.

I’ll also be able to use the structures to make mini poly-tunnels early next year should I want to (which is why I installed the arks on the centre bed despite not netting it, as that’s where my peas and beans are going).

I’m pretty hopeful I’ll have seen the end of my cat problem now. I’ve moved the sonic scarer up to the gooseberry and raspberry patch higher up in the garden in case they start going there instead.

Leave a Reply